On the 11th September Michael Gove MP sent a letter to all social housing providers outlining his proposal for Awaab’s Law. Within the letter the Rt Hon MP set out the following guidance:
- Introduce ‘Awaab’s Law’ to set out new requirements for landlords to address hazards such as damp and mould in social homes. Following a consultation, we will bring these into force as soon as Parliamentary time allows;
- Provide new powers for the Housing Ombudsman and change the law so that social housing
- Residents can complain directly to the Ombudsman;
- Review the Decent Homes Standard and apply it to private rented homes;
- Introduce new professionalisation standards that will require senior housing staff to hold, or work towards, recognised housing management qualifications; and
- Introduce the new Private Rented Property Portal and give all private tenants access to an Ombudsman if their landlord fails to resolve legitimate complaints.
From the guidance the message is very clear get trained to deal with damp and mould in housing. Dewpoint Professional is the only training organisation in the UK that runs City & Guilds Accredited courses in Mould Remediation and Water Damage Restoration. For more detail and to book a course email email@example.com.